888-768-2499 (Toll Free)
Mariaelena Gayo-Guitian specializes in all areas of bankruptcy, business reorganization, and creditors’ rights. Ms. Gayo-Guitian has handled numerous Chapter 11 reorganizations and liquidations on behalf of debtors, creditors, committees and trustees. Ms. Gayo-Guitian also has experience and expertise in handling adversary matters involving objections to discharge, dischargeability of debts, fraudulent transfers, preferences and related bankruptcy litigation. Additionally, Ms. Gayo-Guitian has represented trustees and creditors in bankruptcy cases under Chapters 7 and 13. She also specializes in the representation of both assignors and assignees in assignment for the benefit of creditors’ in State Court proceedings.
Ms. Gayo-Guitian is “AV” rated by Martindale-Hubbell and has been named as a Super Lawyer by Florida Super Lawyers magazine. Ms. Gayo-Guitian is included in the Best Lawyers in America, in the area of bankruptcy, business reorganizations and creditors’ rights. Additionally, she was a Daily Business Reviews’ 2011 finalist for “Most Effective Lawyers” and 2012 finalist for “Top Dealmakers of the Year.” She is also a frequent lecturer and presenter on bankruptcy, restructuring and related issues at conferences and seminars sponsored by the American Bar Association, The Florida Bar and the Southern District of Florida Bankruptcy Bar Association.
Ms. Gayo-Guitian is an active member of the Southern District of Florida Bankruptcy Bar Association and Bankruptcy Judicial Liaison Committee of the Business Law Section of the Florida Bar. She is a current member and Past President of the Broward County Hispanic Bar Association and is a member of the University of Miami Law Alumni Association Board. She is also a member of the International Women’s Insolvency and Restructuring Confederation (IWIRC), American Bankruptcy Institute and American Bar Association. Ms. Gayo-Guitian currently serves as a director of the High Road Foundation a non-profit organization founded and managed by South Florida individuals interested in advancing the talents of "stand-out" youth with financial need.
Ms. Gayo-Guitian is a member of the Florida Bar and is admitted to practice before the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit, Federal Circuit Court in Washington, D.C., and the United States District Courts for the Middle and Southern District of Florida. She earned her Juris Doctor degree in 1988 from the University of Miami School of Law and her Bachelors in Business Administration and Political Science from the University of Miami graduating cum laude in 1985. After graduating from law school Ms. Gayo-Guitian served as law clerk to the former Chief Bankruptcy Judge, Sidney M. Weaver, U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Southern District of Florida.
Areas of Practice
- Bankruptcy Law
- Creditors' Rights
- Florida, 1989
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit, 1992
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Florida
- University of Miami School of Law, Coral Gables, Florida
- J.D., Juris Doctor - 1988
- University of Miami - 1985
- Honors: Cum Laude
- Major: Business Administration and Political Science
Honors and Awards
- "AV" rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Super Lawyer by Florida Super Lawyers Magazine
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Southern District of Florida Bankruptcy Bar Association, Member
- Florida Bar, Business Law Section, Member, Bankruptcy Judicial Liaison Committee
- Broward County Hispanic Bar Association, Member
- University of Miami Law Alumni Association Board, Member
- International Women's Insolvency and Restructuring Confederation (IWIRC), Member
- American Bankruptcy Institute , Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- High Road Foundation a Non-Profit Organization, Director
- Florida Bar, Member
Past Employment Positions
- Former Chief Bankruptcy Judge, Sidney M. Weaver, U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Southern District of Florida, Law Clerk, 1988 - 1990