He is also an experienced commercial arbitrator, having presided over more than 170 contested matters. As a member of the Panel of Arbitrators of the American Arbitration Association, John has been sought out and has presided over cases involving a wide variety of issues including contractual relationships, fraud, banking, real estate, healthcare, and other business relationships.
John has been honored as a Fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America, an invitation-only trial lawyer honorary society composed of less than one-half of one percent of U.S. attorneys. He is rated "AV Preeminent" by Martindale Hubbell and has been repeatedly recognized as a "Best Lawyer" by "Best Lawyers in America, "Top Lawyer" by South Florida Legal Guide, "Legal Elite" by Florida Trend, "Top Lawyers in Florida" by Legal Leaders, and "America's Most Honored Lawyers, Top 1%".
Throughout his career, John has also had significant involvement in diversity and inclusion in the legal profession. He has been highlighted as a "Champion of Diversity" by the Defense Research Institute's For the Defense magazine and selected as a Fellow of the Leadership Council on Legal Diversity. He serves as a board member of the Hispanic National Bar Foundation. John is a Life Member of, and has served on the Executive Committee of the Hispanic National Bar Association as Vice-President of External Affairs, a member of the Board of Governors, and President of Region XIII, encompassing the State of Florida. He has also been active in the Minority Corporate Counsel Association, the National Association of Minority and Women Owned Firms, the American Bar Association's Minority Trial Lawyers Committee, and the Committee on Ethnic and Racial Diversity in the Profession.
John is a frequent speaker and lecturer on substantive legal issues relating to litigation and arbitration. He has written numerous articles in publications for the American Bar Association, the American Arbitration Association, such as the Dispute Resolution Journal, Commercial & Business Litigation, The Minority Trial Lawyer, and Journal of Money Laundering Control. His service in numerous bar and professional associations includes being a Fellow of the American Bar Foundation.
John is a member of The Florida Bar and admitted to practice before the U.S. District Courts for the Southern, Middle and Northern Districts of Florida, and the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals. He earned his master of laws from the University of Cambridge and juris doctor with honors from the University of Florida College of Law, where he was awarded Best Oral Advocate and President of the intercollegiate, award winning Trial Team. He holds his bachelor of arts from the University of Notre Dame.
He is fluent in Spanish.
- Bankruptcy and Insolvency Litigation
- Business and Commercial Disputes
- International Litigation
- Florida, 1996
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Florida
- University of Cambridge, Gonville & Caius College, Cambridge
- LL.M. - 1996
- Honors: With High Honors
- Honors: (2:1)
- University of Florida College of Law, Gainesville, Florida
- J.D. - 1995
- Honors: With Honors
- Honors: Best Oralist and First Place, Coker, Meyers, Shickel, Cooper
- Honors: Runner-Up in National Trial Competition
- Honors: Outstanding Graduate, Trial Competition Team
- Honors: Coker, Meyers, Shickel, Cooper and Sorenson Trial Advocacy Scholarship
- Honors: Dan Bradley Memorial Scholarship
- Honors: Deputy Attorney General, University of Florida Honor Court
- University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, Indiana
- B.A. - 1986
- Honors: Jonathan and Mary Doyle Memorial Scholarship